At Baylor Scott & White Health, our nurses are dedicated to the care of a diverse community of patients. As members of our frontline care team, they take pride in seeking opportunities to provide a higher level of care.
In 2018, the nurses at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Waxahachie worked together to deliver excellence in key areas of nursing.
- Developed and implemented the first multi-disciplinary Breast Clinic decreasing the average turnaround time for diagnostic imaging procedures used for breast cancer workups from 8.8 business days to 1.4 business days
- Achieved Neonatal Level 1 Designation
- Length of stay and readmission rate both better than benchmarks
- Approved as a Blue Cross Blue Shield Distinction Center in Bariatrics
- Build out of 6th floor doubling Progressive Care Unit bed capacity and adding additional 13 medical surgical inpatient beds
- BSN rate 80%
- Certification rate 36%
Exemplary professional practice
- Achieved operating margin of 9.9%, better than budget of 4.6%
- Zero CAUTI since 2015
- Achieved Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Five Star Rating
- Surgical Services—Main Operating Room and Ambulatory Surgery Center both received the Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence award for Ambulatory Surgery patient satisfaction for the 2nd year in a row for patient satisfaction in the 95th percentile for eight quarters consecutively
- Achieved HCAHPS inpatient score of 80.4
New knowledge, innovations, and improvements
Research studies in progress
- What Effect Does the Vein Viewer have on Successful Intravenous Catheterization Insertion?
- New Nursing Graduates and Simulation: Their past experiences, perceptions, and work readiness as they transition to the hospital setting
- Medical Surgical Patients' and Registered Nurses' Satisfaction and Comprehensiveness of Patient Assessment of Pain Using the Clinically Aligned Pain Assessment Tool (CAPA)
- Delaying the Bath to Increase Breastfeeding Rates in Mothers Who Vaginally Delivered Newborns
- Use of Weighted Blankets in Patients with Behavioral Disturbances in Acute Care Setting
- Team Support: Help When You Need It #3
- Measuring the Clinical Nurses Perceptions of Workplace Bullying: A Pilot Study
- Measuring the Unlicensed Assistive Personnel Perceptions of Workplace Bullying: A Pilot Study
- Measuring Interventions for Meaningful Recognition and Skilled Communication using the Healthy Work Environment Scale for Direct Care Nurses in Acute Care Settings #10: Baylor Scott & White Health System North Division Measuring Interventions for Meaningful Recognition and Skilled Communication using the Healthy Work Environment Scale for Nurse Leaders in Acute Care Settings #11: Baylor Scott & White Health System North Division
- Jeannette Mastrovich presented her poster entitled "Decreasing Delays in the Initiation of Chemotherapy in the Outpatient Oncology Setting" in March 2018 at the Eighth Annual Cowtown Oncology Nursing Symposium in Fort Worth, Texas
- Renee O'Daniel presented her poster entitled "Antimicrobial Stewardship: The Journey to Decrease Clostridium Difficile" in June 2018 at Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Tara Renbarger, MSN, RN-BC completed an Aspire Plan entitled "Will a mobile activity cart (MAC) increase nurse and/or patient's family satisfaction by easing workflow with elderly patients (patients over the age of 65 years) as compared to the standard of care on the 2nd floor Medical/Surgical Unit?